Buying a Used Motorcycle
Whether you are looking to practice riding or have just scheduled motorcycle lessons in the North East, owning a motorcycle can go a long way in your practice. A used motorcycle is a wonderful option when you are not prepared to invest a huge sum of money. You can get your hands on a wonderful motorcycle without breaking the bank. Here are some things to keep in mind when buying a used motorcycle.
Check with Local Dealers
There are many used motorcycle dealers who can get you a good deal. Dealers usually inspect the vehicles before putting them up for sale. You could also check online classifieds like Gumtree and Scooter Trader. A private sale is a good option only if you know the owner of the motorcycle.
Avoid Pick-and-Buy-Immediately Approach
Do not hurry through the purchase process.
If it is a local dealer, visit their office and inspect the vehicle first-hand. It is always better to have a knowledgeable person with you to ask questions regarding the history and make of the vehicle.
Find out the service warranty the dealer is willing to offer.
If you have chosen a vehicle online and are far away from the dealer location, consider arranging for a bike mechanic to visit the dealer’s venue to give you an unbiased opinion.
Make all Essential Inspections
- Inspect the vehicle in daylight to get all visual aspects right.
- If you hear a grinding noise when you apply the brakes (with the vehicle in motion), it could mean that the drum system needs a thorough clean or that the shoes need replacement.
- Look for oil stains around the engine and the suspension system. If the vehicle was water washed recently, spillage spots will be stand out.
- Check for signs of deep rusting such as crumbling metal pieces.
- Check for dark smoke emissions from the exhaust. If yes, piston rings could need a replacement, which is expensive.
- Request a test-ride. Shift gears to check acceleration and performance. Slow down using front and rear brakes alternatively. Change directions and take a U-turn. Check if everything goes smoothly.
- Ask for the vehicle’s registration certificate, insurance papers and the owner’s manual.
- Buy only if you are satisfied with the vehicle or the deal.
Professional Motorcycle Lessons in the North East
If you are looking to invest in a used motorcycle so you can learn to ride, visit A1 Motorcycle Training School. We provide professional motorcycle lessons in the North East. Our motorbike training North East instructors are DVSA-qualified and carry a RoSPA Gold Advanced certificate.
Our motorcycle training North East classes take place 7 days a week. Whether you need a CBT, complete license or safety lessons, our motorbike training crew can help. There are motorbike training courses to suit every budget.
Our motorcycle training courses are available right across the North East. With our experienced motorcycle instructors and small-size classes, you are assured of high standards of training.
Call us at 0191 460 87 25 for more information